Friday 10 August 2018

Sailboat with bonus Sea Star #2


It has been a while since I have posted about my sailboats, the first can be seen here. This is yet another gifted make, and as with the first was intended as more of an ornamental decorative piece but if it got played with some then that's good too. It's always nice to know my gifted makes are being enjoyed. This green version also has its matching sea star or starfish, just as I made for my first blue sailboat.


This sailboat and sea star was made in exactly the same way as my first, only with green materials instead of the blues. I again used two skewers, measured and cut, to create the mast and boom and stitched the sails onto these. The sails and and small flag are made from two pieces of material sewn together, turned inside out, ladder stitched shut, then ironed so as too be strong and sturdy. The body of the boat, along with the sea star, is stitched together, turned then stuffed before being ladder stitched closed, with the boat being stitched closed around the mast.


I used the same pattern to make this sailboat as I used to make my first and found it easier the second time around as I now had an idea of how to make this. The first time I made this there were no instructions with this pattern and I had to figure out for myself what materials to use, such as the skewers for the mast, and how to make it work. The full standing size of this sailboat is somewhere around 12 inches and along with its sea star is makes a lovely gift set.

No comments:

Post a Comment