Saturday 25 January 2020

My Beanie Ringtail Possum


This native Australian marsupial can be commonly heard at night running across our rooftops, this is mostly because we live so close to bushland. But a lot of our native wildlife are suffering in the fires and I this little critter is just a small reminder of those unique animals that share this land.


Created from My Beanie pattern, my previous beanie makes being My Mouse and My Bunny, I wanted to create an Australian animal. And while I did first consider a Koala, I'm having a little trouble getting the ears right, so I instead  made this ringtail possum as the first of my Australian beanie makes.


I loved this silver grey material and thought it ideal for this ringtail possum. The tail and ears had to be created for this animal, but the body and paws are my standard beanie pattern. The face was done in the same ways as my other beanie makes using black safety eyes and a few stitches for his nose.


This ringtail possums tiny paws and tail are stuffed, but the body is filled with plastic pellets  making him soft, playful and very cute. The finished size is about 11cm long, not including the tail, which makes for a comfortable size to handle, toss or just keep you company.

No comments:

Post a Comment