Friday 17 May 2019

Honeydukes Chocolate Frog Box Key Chain + Frog & Bertie Bott's Beans Box


After creating boxes from iron beads to resemble Harry Potters's school trunk and Newt Scamander's suitcase I wanted to make a chocolate frog box and a Bertie Bott's beans box. I began by searching online to see if patterns for these already existed and found nothing. So after a bit work I was able to create patterns for these myself.


I began with the frog, the one piece I did find an online pattern for. I was initially tempted to make this frog all brown to look more chocolaty, however I decided that it needed the black beads to help give more definition to the finished piece. The all brown frog looked a little too much like he had begun to melt.


The chocolate frog box was very difficult to design. I began by trying to create something more 3D in shape, similar to the boxes seen in the movie, but had to eventually give up on the idea as I just couldn't figure out how to make it work. This was when I decided to make the 3D paper/cardboard model for these boxes complete with fabric beanie frogs.


I eventually decided on a 2D chocolate frog box design, however the first frog I made was too large so a new smaller frog was created to fit inside. This box was made in three layers, the bottom layer and the middle layer were hot glued together, and these were then connected to the lid by fishing line. Lastly magnets were glued on to hold it closed.


Designing the Bertie Bott's beans box was easier then I thought it would be, especially when i simplified the design on the box, replacing the little characters on the top with blue diamond like shapes. I also created the feet on this box, as seen on the Bertie Bott's beans boxes in the movie, as well as a base and top flaps that open.


The sides and base of this Bertie Bott's beans box simply connect together, each ironed piece designed to interlock with each other. The top triangle pieces, the only pieces not to be made on a square peg board, are connected to the box by fishing line and the top of each triangle is threaded with a red cord that allows this to open and close.


Each window of the Bertie Bott's beans box has a clear plastic piece glued to the inside to complete the look. The chocolate frog box has a key chain attached. Overall I am very happy with how these pieces turned out. I have a pattern for these available HERE free.

1 comment:

  1. I love your post, you could pass the patterns to me by email, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete