Friday 3 May 2019

Chocolate Frogs (inspired by the Harry Potter Series)


I wanted to make a set of chocolate frogs in boxes, only without the chocolate so I could keep them without the worry of melted frogs, and found a number of box patterns online that look like the ones seen in the Harry Potter movies. However I was unable to use any of these box patterns as I have run out of colour ink in my printer. So I instead decided to fully make some boxes of my own, with non-chocoalte chocolate frogs inside.


To make these boxes I used a blank chocolate frog box template, again found online, and the cardboard from cereal boxes. This cardboard was strong enough without being bulky while also being thin enough without being flimsy. After a lot of cutting and gluing I had the the basic box shape I wanted. All I had to then was figure out how I wanted to decorate them.


Initially I had thought to decorate these boxes in a style more close to those patterns I had found online, however I ended up giving these a more simple look. I left the inside of the boxes plain and painted over the outside of the boxes that was the outside of the cereal box. After a coat or two of white paint, I painted the top and bottom of each box in a dark navy blue and covered the sides in a gold paint.


The top each box was decorated with a gold frog that I painted on from a stencil I created using the fabric pattern for the chocolate frog. This way the fabric frog inside would match the frog design on the lid. Each box was then given a couple coats of mod podge for protection and shine. The fabric pattern I used for the chocolate frog was a free frog sewing pattern that I found online.


The first frog I made was a little to big, but after some resizing I had the perfect sized frogs to sit in the boxes I made. Each frog is filled with plastic pellets to make these tiny beanie frogs, giving them a nice weight to them when jumping or being tossed. I'm really very pleased with how these turned out and despite their simple appearance they are, to me, quite obviously chocolate frogs.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Just discovering this. Love the beanie frogs! Can you post a pattern? I'd love to make one of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pattern I found through a google search and I can't seem to find it on my computer any more. Maybe if you do a search for 'frog sewing pattern' you may find it or something similar. I used the pattern found at this link for the peppermint toads if you wanted to use it instead https://www.lilblueboo.com/2011/07/a-stuffed-frog-prince-a-tutorial-and-download.html

    ReplyDelete