Friday 7 September 2018

Topsy Turvy Doll - Harley Quinn & Wonder Woman


I have made another of my up-side dolls, this one featuring Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman as seen in the cartoon DC Superhero Girls. Although the Wonder Woman for this doll is actually made in the same way as my Elsa & Wonder Woman doll, with Wonder Woman being more inspired by the DC Extended Universe version of the character.


Although Harley Quinn is seen wearing pants in the DC Superhero Girls, along with Wonder Woman, I have made these dolls into my interpretations of these characters and not an exact copy of them. This is due to the nature of these dolls needing skirts, to be able to be flipped, and also to fit how I had decided I wanted to interpret each character.


Both Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman have block colour skirts, styled sleeveless tops with ribbon accents and ribbon belts. All colours chosen were those that best represented each aspect of their outfits. Wonder Woman with her yellow (golden) indestructible bracelets, tiara and belt. Along with the yellow detail on her top.


Harley Quinn, although mostly based on her DC Superhero Girls version, also has influences of her other incarnations. Instead of splitting her skirt colour I made it all black with a blue belt, this is partly influenced by how I wished her to look and partly by the supplies I had at hand. Her top with the red ribbon trim was more influences by her Suicide Squad look.


Harley Quinn's hair was very much a copy of how it is seen in DC Superhero Girls. Her hair, as well as Wonder Woman's, was stitched on to her head in two layers. A bottom layer was stitched all over the head to hide any bald spots that may show, then a second layer was stitched on. For Harley Quinn this second layer was fashioned into two ponytails, with her coloured stripes included and for Wonder Woman this second layer was left long.


The face designs for both Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman were taken from their DC Superhero Girls versions to give each doll a personalised look. It is interesting to see how different colour and shaped facial features can portray their individual personalities. Both Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman have all features of their faces hand embroidered, and Wonder Woman's stitched on tiara is also embellished.


Along with all my sewn projects, this topsy turvy doll was completely hand sewn, so it does take a while to complete one of these dolls but it is well worth the effort seeing the end result. This was yet another doll made as a gift, one day I will make one of these lovely dolls for myself. I was given a suggestion to make a Harry Potter themed doll of Professor McGonagall, with her as a cat as the second doll on the flip doll. I am so tempted to make this, I just need to find the time..

No comments:

Post a Comment