Friday 21 September 2018

Pokémon Pikachu Bookmark & Ash + Pikachu Key Chain & Poké Ball Box


I've never made anything Pokémon related before but my nephew is a fan so I decided to make a Pokémon  gift set for his birthday. This set includes a Pikachu bookmark, two key chains, one of Ash Ketchum and the other of Pikachu, and lastly a box made to resemble a Poké Ball.


When I found this design for a Pikachu bookmark online I thought it was so cute I had to make it. Using a square 29x29 peg board, the finished design was ironed pretty well flat on both sides to make it as thin as possible so the finished piece could be comfortably used as a bookmark, with the finished size being about 13.5 cm tall.


These two key chains were made directly from patterns I found online and seemed to me to be the perfect designs for key chains. Ash Ketchum and Pikachu are very iconic to Pokémon and were a must to include in this set. The actual key chain part is also handmade by me using red rope, jewellery endings, jump rings and a lobster clasp.


The Poké Ball was was a bit trickier to make. After searching online for a Poké Ball I found a few that I liked and a few that I didn't, so I combined a couple of these designs to create a look I liked. I used a round peg board and made rings of white, black and red in differing sizes to create an oval shaped box.


Once all the layers were ironed together I then had to hot glue these layers to create the 3D box shape. I preferred a more oval, flattened circle a perfect round shape as it was more box like. I also added a magnet closure which, along with the front button piece, was hot glued to the finished box to create the Poké Ball.


I was so pleased with how these turned out and I think my nephew was too. I especially like the Pikachu bookmark, its such a simple design but so adorable. I again ran out of so many colours when making this, you might have noticed that the Poké Ball has some orange iron beads on the inside as I ran out of red. Once I get more iron beads I plan to make more themed gift sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment