Friday 1 February 2019

Acromantula (inspired by the Harry Potter Series)


While walking through the bush the other day, I made the mistake of following a trail of spiders. At the time it seemed harmless, but not until it was too late did I remember that this was the advice Hagrid had given to Harry and Ron when they discovered the lair of acromantula's living in the Forbidden Forest. Thankfully I didn't run into an acromantula as large as Aragog, but as spiders go, I did meet a big one.


This baby acromantula is surprisingly cute for a deadly creature. Even with the highest classification of XXXXX I can see why Hagrid was taken with the baby Aragog, not that I'm tempted to keep this little fella around for too long. Once fully grown his size alone would make this difficult, but really I just couldn't live with the guilt of him eating my family and friends that may pop round to visit.


The pattern for this acromantula was created by combining a few different patterns, along with a few alterations I made myself, until I had a design I was happy with. I know acromantual's are described as jet-black in colour but I didn't want his eight black eyes to be lost in a black body, so I instead used this thick dark material that still allowed for all eight black safety eyes to stand out.


Sewing this acromantula was a little fiddly, especially when it came to turning it out as I had stuffed the legs and sewn them into the body as I went along. This meant that when it came time to turning the body inside out, (the right way round), I had eight thick legs to maneuver through the opening. After this it was easy enough to attached the safety eyes and fill the body with plastic pellets before closing him up.


If acromantula's weren't so intent on eating people I'm sure they would become more popular, especially if they looked as adorable as this little one. The pellet filled body gives this acromantual a nice weight to it and also makes him very tossable and with the use of two different sized safety eyes the finished effect of this acromantula is exactly what I imagined it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment