Friday 22 March 2019

Topsy Turvy Doll mini - Doll & Sailor Chibi Moon


This doll was gifted before I remembered to take a picture with both heads showing. Although in general you would only see the one head/doll at a time, I did liked to have a picture showing the both so you got a better look at this topsy turvy dolls full features together. Since this was not possible I instead edited the picture above to give you an idea of how these dolls look together.


This mini flip doll was made for my another sister using the same pattern as my other topsy turvy dolls, only here using the traditional happy/sad faces like I have with the other mini dolls. For both faces I embroidered black for the eyebrows, black and white for the eyes, and a pale tan colour for the nose. For the sad doll above I used a light pink for the lips and for the happy lips below red embroidery was used.


The hands of each doll were also embroidered to give definition to the fingers and then I attached the hair for each doll. The hair for each doll was stitched down in two layers, the first layer covered the dolls scalp so that once the second layer was stitched on there would be no bald spots seen through this second layer. The second layer of hair was for the dolls hair style, down for the first doll and pigtails for the second.


The dresses for this flip doll were made from a dress, a shirt and a thin jumper. The dress was the colourful print seen on the doll above, the shirt was a white shirt remade into a shirt for the doll below, and the light pink jumper became a skirt to go with the white shirt. As I have mentioned previously, I like to re-purpose old fabric material as opposed to buying new fabrics.


The blonde haired doll in this pair is loosely based on my sister, with her light blond hair, big eyes and sad face, only without the sad face as she is never without a smile. The pink haired doll is based on the character of Sailor Chibi Moon, a sailor scout from the future who represents the month of my sisters birthday. Admittedly Sailor Chibi Moon is not one of my favourite characters, but this doll wasn't made for me, and besides with her pink colour scheme she is one of my favourite dolls.


With a full height of about 8.5 inches from head to head and about 9.5 inches from head to hem, this doll was made not so much for playing but more as a decorative piece for display. Along with all my sewn projects, this topsy turvy doll was completely hand sewn, the dresses, hair, everything. So it does take some time to complete one of these dolls but it is well worth the effort seeing the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment