Thursday 25 February 2021

DIY Ogham Staves


For the past few months I have been trying to learn all about oghams. A very complicated and messy subject, due to the little facts that are actually known about oghams. The only concrete information about the oghams comes from the actual name meanings and the associations of the Bríatharogaim Kennings found in the Ogham Tract. However, there is plenty of opinion and speculation as to what the oghams represented and how they should be interpreted. 


Although there are some consistencies to be found among the many sources I have researched about the the meanings and associations of the oghems, there are still many others that differ or contradict what is found in other sources. Even the names of the oghams themselves have differing spellings. This becomes all the more complicated when you reach the last five ogham fews, which were a latter addition and for this reason not always discussed among literary sources.


To aid my learning I decided to create a physical set of oghams staves. My intention was to create a set from sticks, however as I have yet to procure the sticks I need, and because I had them on hand, I have created an ogham set from wooden nail cuticle pushers. I still intend to create a set from sticks, but for the moment these diy staves will do. They are wood and about the right height I wanted, just a little too skinny. All I needed to do was draw on the ogham figures and I was done. You can read more about using these Ogham staves HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment